Orange and thyme slow cooker chicken or how to add that something special to a classic roasted chicken.
Now that we all know how to make a basic slow cooker chicken is it time to add that something special to the recipe.
If you missed the basic slow cooker chicken recipe and all the tips to get it extra juicy, check this recipe.
Orange season just started so let’s make an easy and delicious orange and thyme marinated chicken on the slow cooker.
We are going to make an easy marinade with orange juice, fresh ginger, garlic and thyme. It might sound simple but the result is just delicious.
Juicy and tender meat with lots of flavour.
How to get a crispy and golden skin?
When you cook the chicken on the slow cooker you will never get that oven roasted crispy skin.
So if you want to get that extra crispy skin, simply broil the chicken for 5-10 minutes in the oven.
You will get a tender and juicy meat on the inside with a crispy and golden skin.
You can go for some classic roasted potatoes or use any leftover vegetable you have in the fridge. The key is to roast them with some garlic powder and thyme.
Orange and thyme slow cooker chickenCourse: MainCuisine: Slow CookerDifficulty: Easy
Roasted vegetables: USE YOUR FAVOURITE vegetables.
1 chicken, (2 kg)
Juice of 2 oranges, 150 ml (set aside 1/2 of the orange peel)
2 garlic cloves
1 piece of fresh ginger, 2 cm
Salt and pepper
Fresh or dry thyme, 8-10 sprigs or 1 teaspoon
- Roasted vegetables
3 medium size potatoes, peeled and cut in wedges
1 medium size sweet potato
1-2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- Path dry the chicken and season with salt. Place it on a ziploc bag or container that you will use to marinate the chicken.
- Place the orange juice, garlic, ginger and pepper on a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture to the bag or container with the chicken. Sprinkle all over dry thyme or 1-2 fresh thyme.
- Place the rest of the thyme springs and the orange peel inside the chicken. Zip the bag or place the lid on the container and store in the fridge overnight or for 8-10 hours.
- Get the chicken out of the fridge 1 hours before starting to cook.
- Place the chicken and the marinade on the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours and 30 mins.
- Roasted vegetables:
- 40 minutes before the chicken is ready, preheat the over to 200°C.
- Place all the vegetables, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic and thyme on a baking sheet and gently toss to combine.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- To get a crispy chicken, when the vegetables are roasted, move them to the sides of the tray to make space for the chicken.
- Carefully transfer the chicken to the tray. Pour some or all of the marinade over the chicken.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes until the skin gets golden-crispy.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy it!
This post contains affiliate links.