Slow cooker Iberian pork cheek with port wine, soft as butter and so flavourful fall stew.
Tender meat with a delicious sauce that is perfect for autumn. Also, we are going to cook it on the slow cooker so it is so easy.
Pork cheeks or carrillada is a unique and special meat cut that is so difficult to find in The Netherlands.
So when I found Iberian pork cheek at a butcher in The Hague I had to get them and make a delicious stew on the slow cooker.
Where can I buy Iberian pork meat in The Hague?
At V.O.F. J. Hersbach en Zn, you can get not only pork cheeks but also, ribs and lots of different Iberian pork cuts. Most of them are frozen and have excellent quality. The butcher is lovely, so if you want a special cut you can always ask as most probably they can get it for you.
If you want more slow cooker recipes, here are some of my favourites.
Let’s jump into the recipe.
Slow cooker Iberian pork cheek with port wineCourse: MainCuisine: Slow cookerDifficulty: Easy
500 g Iberian pork cheeks
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves
Whole wheat flour
1/2 green paprika, chopped
2 tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoon tomato pureé
1 bay leaf
2 cups Port wine
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over high heat.
- Pat the pork cheeks dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the meat in flour and sear the meat until browned, about 1 minute on each side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, paprika and carrots to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Pour the Port wine into the pan to deglaze it. Then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the slow cooker, diced tomatoes, tomato pureé, bay leaf, thyme, water, a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker and discard the bay leaf. Blend the juices and vegetables to get a creamy sauce. Transfer the pork cheeks back to the slow cooker with the sauce.
- Serve the pork with the sauce and some roasted vegetables.
Tips to make the best slow cooker Iberian pork cheek with port wine:
This stew tastes better if you cook it 1 or 2 days ahead and store it in the fridge. It will be more flavourful.
You can also store it in the freezer and enjoy it at any time.
It goes amazing with some roasted potatoes or vegetables.