Simple and easy slow cooker chickpeas and spinach stew. This recipe is one of my favourite recipes during winter. It is super easy to make as you just need to put all at ones in the slow cooker.
You can cook it over night and have an amazing stew ready in the morning. I like to use some spices to give a unique flavour to this vegan stew so do not skip them 🙂
Usually I use spinach to make this recipe but this time I added the green part of some swiss chard and the result was as good. Just make sure to clean and chop the swiss chard before adding it to the slow cooker.
If you want more slow cooker recipes, check my latest Ebook: Fish and Legumes for the Slow Cooker:
Pack of 3 single recipes – SLOW COOKER – DIGITAL€7,95
Pack of 3 single recipes – SLOW COOKER – PRINT€11,95
Chickpea curry – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Marinated salmon – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Stuffed slow cooker chicken – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Stuffed slow cooker chicken – Single Recipe DIGITAL€2,95
Marinated salmon – slow cooker – single recipe – DIGITAL€2,95
Ebook – Fish and Legumes – Slow cooker€19,95
Slow cooker chickpeas and spinach stewCourse: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
350 g of dry chickpeas, soaked in water for 12 hours
1 onion, cutted in half
½ red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves
1 cup diced tomato
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 litre of water
1 teaspoon olive oil
200 g spinach or swiss chard
- Heat the oil in a small pan over high heat.
- Sauteé onion and garlic 3-4 minutes, until golden.
- Meantime, place all the ingredients on the slow cooker. You do not need to chop the vegetables and we will blend them afterwards.
- Add onion and garlic to the slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 12 hours.
- Remove all the vegetables and 1/2 cup of the water/stock. Blend using a blender or hand mixer until smooth.
- Pour the blended vegetables into the slow cooker. Add the spinach or the green part of the swiss chard. Cook on HIGH for 1 more hour.
- Serve warm.
- Storage: You can store it in a sealed container in the fridge up to 4 days or in the freezer.
- Usually, we eat half of it and freeze the other half.