Gravlax is cured salmon using salt, sugar and dill. As we are making a homemade version rootsandcook style, I will skip the sugar.
If you have never done it before you will see how easy it is to cure salmon at home. Nothing can beat a good homemade cured salmon. You can enjoy them for an amazing weekend breakfast or to have a great start of the week.
I have to admit I was not a big fall of dill when I was young but I do love it now to make Gravlax. So you can easily skip it if you do not like it.
I love adding one first layer of smoked salt to give a little smoked flavour to the salmon. I use Maldon Smoked Sea Salt as it is the only one I could find here but you can use any other smoked salt.
Ready to make amazing homemade cured salmon – Gravlax?
Cured Salmon – GravlaxCourse: AppetizersCuisine: NordicDifficulty: Easy
300 g salmon, bones removed and skin on
750 g coarse salt
50 g smoked salt
½ cup fresh dill, chopped
- Step 1- Place ⅙ of the coarse salt on a rectangular container.
- Step 2- Place the salmon on the salt, skin side down.
- Step 3- Top the salmon with the chopped dill.
- Step 4- Add 1 layer of the smoked salt.
- Step 5- Cover fully with the rest of the coarse salt.
- Top with something flat and heavy.
- Step 6- My method: Fill a smaller rectangular container with water, close it and place it over the salt. You can use tomato cans or any other heavy element in your kitchen.
Wrap with cling wrap or place it inside a zipper bag.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Remove the salmon from the salt. Rinse and pat dry.
- Slice thinly on an angle with a sharp and large knife. Do not cut through skin.
- Curing time: You can refrigerate for 48 hours to get a hard cure.
- Store: If you are not going to eat all at ones, you can store it in the refrigerator up to 3 days in an airtight container.
If you need more appetizer recipes, here some ideas.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you buy something through those links I will receive a small commission at no extra cost for you. Thank you for your support!