One of my favourite basic recipes, slow cooker chicken. Extremely easy to make and you will get the juiciest roasted chicken.
I bought a slow cooker, mine is a CrockPot, 3 years ago, and since then I changed my way of cooking for certain recipes.
It is not an expensive kitchen tool, mine was around 40 euros, but it makes a huge difference for certain recipes. It is easy to use as it has two options, Low and High. For a lower temperature and longer cooking time and higher temperature and shorter cooking time.
I use it a lot to make legume stews, vegetable stews, broths, soup, meat, fish… Cooking in low temperature and long times makes food super tender and juicy.
If you are cooking a chickpea stew or a whole chicken, all turns as soft as butter and super juicy.
It is extremely safe to cook with a slow cooker as you can leave it on an entire night to get an amazing stew or soup in the morning. Or as I usually do put a whole chicken in it and let it cook the entire Sunday morning while I do groceries, sports or whatever outside while lunch is being cooked. By lunchtime, the chicken is ready, soft and juicy to enjoy it!
The recipe I am sharing today is the basic recipe that I used when I started using the slow cooker, no special sauce or anything, just a whole chicken and few ingredients, easy and amazingly tender. It is the first recipe I want to share but no worries as honey/soy/pepper or homemade bbq sauce will follow next 🙂
Plus next week I will show you what to do with roasted chicken leftovers, if you have them 😉
Let me know, Do you have a slow cooker? Do you like it? What are your essential recipes?
Slow Cooker Chicken -basic recipeCourse: MainCuisine: Slow cookerDifficulty: Easy
Cooking time slow cooker: 5h Temperature: Low
Cooking time slow cooker: 2h 30´ Temperature: High
1 whole chicken, around 2 kg
6-7 small potatoes
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, white wine and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the chicken over the potatoes. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on ¨Low¨ heat for 5 hours. Or on ¨High¨ heat for 2h and 30 minutes.
- To get crispy skin. Pre-heat oven to 200ºC. Carefully transfer the chicken to an oven tray. Cut the potatoes into wedged and place them around the chicken. Drizzle the chicken with the sauce/liquid from the slow cooker. Broil for 5 minutes until the skin gets golden-crispy.
- Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving. Serve with potatoes and some side salad.
If you need more slow cooker recipes, have a look at my latest Ebook:
Pack of 3 single recipes – SLOW COOKER – DIGITAL€7,95
Pack of 3 single recipes – SLOW COOKER – PRINT€11,95
Chickpea curry – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Marinated salmon – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Stuffed slow cooker chicken – Single recipe – PRINT€4,95
Stuffed slow cooker chicken – Single Recipe DIGITAL€2,95
Marinated salmon – slow cooker – single recipe – DIGITAL€2,95
Ebook – Fish and Legumes – Slow cooker€19,95
We never eat the whole chicken at home so I always have the breasts as leftovers. Keep them as I will show you how to do meatballs with roasted chicken... delicious!