Aubergine rolls with lentils spiced using the same spices as the moussaka.
Juicy, full of vegetables and just so so good. If you have someone at home that is not a big fan of lentils, try this recipe I am sure they will be surprised.
Aubergine rolls with lentilsCourse: Legumes, VegetablesCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
1 large aubergine
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup red wine
240 g canned lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 clove, grinded
salt and pepper
- Bechamel sauce
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
300 ml milk or oat milk
- Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the aubergine lengthways. Season each slice with salt and place them on a colander. Set aside for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and add all the chopped vegetables. Sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomato sauce, red wine and all the spices ( oregano, bay leaf, cinnamon, salt and pepper).
- Simmer, for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the aubergine with water and pat dry.
- Lay 2 aubergine slices on a work surface slightly overlapping.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the lentil filling onto the side of the aubergine.
- Roll the aubergine up into a sausage. Repeat with the rest of the aubergine and filling.
- Place all the aubergine rolls in a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Bechamel sauce
- Heat the oil on a medium-size pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk quickly. Cook for 1 minute and add ¼ of the milk, whisking constantly. Add another ¼ of the milk and keep stirring. Add the rest of the milk, a pinch of salt, pepper and nutmeg, and boil over low heat until the sauce thickens. About 4-5 minutes.
- Top the aubergine rolls with the bechamel sauce and sprinkle with some grated cheese.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes at 220°C or until golden.
If you are looking for more vegan recipes, here some.