Roasted cabbage, easiest side dish to enjoy this delicious autumn vegetable.
September is perfect to enjoy the first cabbages of the season. It is usually not part of the top 5 favourite vegetables list but there are delicious and simple things you can do with it.
Roasting it is one of the simplest ways to enjoy this vegetable. Sliced and sprinkled with your favourite spices. I like to keep it simple and simply add some pepper and garlic powder but feel free to add some flakes chilly, turmeric or even some nice curry powder.
The key always to get nicely caramelised and roasted vegetables is to leave some space between the pieces. That way the steam will not get stuck and it will allow the vegetables to caramelise.
Grab your favourite spices and let’s start!
Roasted cabbageCourse: Side dishCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
1 small cabbage
Optional: thyme or oregano
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Cut the stems off the cabbage head and the cut into 5 to 6 thick disks or slices.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the cabbage with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic and some thyme or oregano. Flip the cabbage over and repeat.
TIP: Make sure you leave space between slices to enjoy they will roast nicely.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the leaves are browned and the center in tender.
- You can change the spices and add some curry and turmeric. The result is delicious.