Delicious homemade bagels with this easy bagels recipe.
Bagels are a lot easier than you might think. It is an easy to make dough and the feeling of enjoying your handmade bagels is something else. With the recipe below you can make 8 bagels, but feel free to double the recipe as they freeze really well.
Are you ready to make you first bagels at home?
- Bagels with cream cheese and plum or strawberry jam
- Bagels with cream cheese, lettuce, smoked salmon and poached egg
- Bagels with butter and jam
- Bagels with butter, ham and cheese
- Bagels with scrambled eggs
- Bagels with beetroot hummus, avocado and salted anchovies
I buy organic European avocados here, best avocados in Europe. Non sponsored 🙂
How to poach an egg – you might need this recipe too
How to get the perfect poached eggs at home.
Homemade bagels – easy recipeCourse: Brunch, BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
500 g flour
7 g active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
300 ml lukewarm water
- In a small bowl or jar combine lukewarm water, yeast and sugar. Proof for 8 minutes until foamy.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, place the flour, salt and yeast mixture.
- Stand mixer: Mix on medium-low speed for 10 minutes.
- By hand: Mix with a spoon for 1 minute, then transfer the dough to a clean surface and knead 6 minutes more. Dough needs to be smooth and elastic.
- Form a ball and place in the same large bowl greased with some oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until it has doubled in size. For me best place is the oven (off).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. I use a large casserole.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball.
- With a little bit of flour in a finger, press your finger into the center of each dough ball to form a doughnut.
- Stretch the doughnut to a 10 cm diameter of bagel. Repeat the process until you form 8 bagels.
- Reduce the heat of the boiling water, we need a gentle simmer.
- Cook the bagels in batches, do not overfill the pot. I cook 4 bagels each time.
- Add 4 bagels into the simmering water. Cook for 1 minute on each side. Flip and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the bagels into a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cook the rest of the bagels in the water.
- Brush the top of each bagel with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden at 200°C.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before enjoying them.
How to make homemade Salmon gravlax for your bagels
Because homemade is always better if you want to try to make homemade cured salmon, this recipe is super easy. Salmon gravlax recipe.