Have you even done fresh goat cheese at home?
It is a lot easier than you might think 🙂
It is not easy to find fresh cheese in The Netherlands, and specially fresh goat cheese.
Where can I buy fresh goat milk in The Netherlands?
That was for sure a challenge. You can find goat milk in most supermarkets but is not 100% fresh.
If you are looking for real fresh goat milk in The Netherlands with no treatment, you can find it here.
How can I eat fresh cheese?
On a toast with honey and walnuts is amazing, but it is also amazing to use it as pie fillings, like spinach and cheese pies.
After making cheese or butter at home, I realised that you also get lots of milk whey.
I always go for these 2 options: Irish soda bread or whey pizza dough.
Fresh Goat CheeseDifficulty: Easy
1,5 liters fresh goat milk
55 ml lemon juice
- In a large pot heat the goat milk until it reaches 90ºC.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Stir and set aside for 45 minutes. Until cuds form and it cools down a bit.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and pour the milk. Add salt and mix.
- Close the cheesecloth and allow the whey to drain.
- I like a creamy cheese so I do not drain the liquid too much, for me with 30 minutes is enough. You can leave it more time if you like it dry.
- Place the cheese ball in a mold. I use a plating ring to make a small cheese.
- Keep in the refrigerator in a closed container.
- You can make a toast with some fresh goat cheese, honey and walnuts. Or spread it over some grilled red peppers.