These zucchini cannelloni’s are a great idea for dinner when you want to have something warm but keeping it healthy. Also, it is 100% vegan.
The cashew sauce adds that special thing to this meal to make it perfect. To be honest I could eat the sauce just with a spoon… so yummy!
Zucchini Cannelloni with Cashew sauceCourse: MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
2 large zucchini
400 g mushrooms
1 chopped onion
1 chopped garlic clove
1/2 cup of cashew nuts (natural)
1/2 cup white wine
1 can plum tomato
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon nutritional yeasts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Start soaking cashew nuts in water for 15 minutes.
- For the mushroom filling, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium-size pan and sauté the onion and the garlic.
- Chop mushrooms, add and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 glass of white wine. Cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the meantime, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan. Add the tomato and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove the tomato sauce from heat.
- Place the tomato sauce, cashew nuts (without the water), garlic powder, nutritional yeast (optional), salt and pepper in a food processor and blend them all until you get a creamy texture.
- Meanwhile, using a mandolin or sharp knife, peel the zucchini into wide strips and lay them flat. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt.
- Heat a large pan and cook zucchini ribbons in small batches. 30 seconds from each side max. Place them in a dish.
- To assemble. Grab 2 wide zucchini ribbons, lay them on a work surface slightly overlapping.
- Place 1 large tablespoon of the mushroom filling onto the centre of the zucchini.
- Roll into a coin and place it in an oven dish. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Spoon the cashew sauce over each roll.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 200 ºC. Conventional heating.
- Sprinkle with extra nutritional yeast and serve with some salad. Enjoy it!