Fava bean pesto is an easy and quick way to enjoy fava beans or broad beans in summer. They are in season from June to August and there are lots of different recipes to enjoy them, here some inspiration.
But if you are looking for something quick and maybe different, you need to try this fava bean pesto.
It is easy to make, flavourful and a great way to enjoy raw vegetables.
You can use the pesto to cook a nice pasta dish but also to spread it over a toast and add an egg on top of it, scroll down for some inspiration.
Let’s start making the pesto.
Fava bean pestoCourse: MainCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
450 g fava beans (with pods)- 160 g shelled
15 g parmesan cheese, grated
20 g pine nuts
4-6 fresh basil leaves
1 small garlic clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Shell the fava beans or remove them from the pods. If you want extra tender and smooth pesto, blanch the beans and release them from their individual shells.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend for a few seconds. Do not blend too much as we still want a rustic texture, not too smooth. (But of course is you want it creamy and smooth, just blend it longer)
- Transfer to a jar with a lid and store it in the fridge for up to a week.
What can I cook with these fave bean pesto?
You can make a delicious pasta dish using this pesto but if you want to keep it simple, do this:
- Spread some of the pesto over a toast.
- Add a fried or poached egg on top.
- Sprinkle some chilly flakes and enjoy it!
The combination is extremely good!