Slow cooker Moroccan style chicken, flavourful and easy to make.
This is the classic chicken tagine but on the slow cooker.
Tagine or tajine is a pot with a conical shape that creates a moist and hot environment for the dish being cooked. It is traditional from the Moroccan cuisine and most probably you had a tajine if you even been to Marrakech.
The tagine cooks the meat and vegetables with almost no liquid, so similar to the slow cooker. That is why I decided to create my own version of the classic chicken tagine for the slow cooker.
Tender and spiced chicken, chickpeas, apricot and vegetables. Lots of flavour for a delicious main dish.
Slow cooker Moroccan style chickenCourse: MainCuisine: MoroccanDifficulty: Easy
4 hours on LOW or 2 hours and 30 mins on HIGH.
1 kg skinless and boneless chicken thighs
1 onion, cut into wedges
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 leek, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
6 dried apricots
200 g can chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup tomato sauce
6 saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon Ras al Hanout
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet.
- Brown from both sides and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrot, pepper, leek and garlic to the skillet, cook for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Add the tomato sauce, saffron threads and Ras al Hanout, cook for 1 minutes and transfer all to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the chickpeas, apricot and prunes. Add 1 cup of water, cover and cook for 4 hours on LOW or 2 hours and 30 mins on HIGH.
- You can store in the fridge in a closed container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
The slow cooker I use is this one from Crockpot. It is almost 6 years old and still loving it.
The Slow cooker Moroccan style chicken post contains affiliate links.