Easy mackerel ceviche spring version.
Are you hosting a spring dinner and you are looking for an easy and fresh appetizer, look no more.
This easy and fresh mackerel ceviche is a must for raw fish lovers.
What is Ceviche?
Ceviche is fresh raw fish marinated (cooked) in lime juice, served with red onion, tomato, cilantro and ají.
Originally from Peru but popular in lots of South American countries where you can find lots of ceviche versions.
This SPRING CEVICHE is a fresh and fun version using seasonal produce of May. Because, why not? Strawberries are so sweet at the moment and add that sweet flavour pairs extraordinarily with an acid and spicy ceviche.
Raw fresh fish?
Always deep freeze the fish at least 24 hours to ensure it is 100% safe to eat. Thaw fish in the fridge for 12 hours before preparing ceviche.
Type of fish you can use to make Ceviche:
- Sea bass
- Red Snapper
April to September is mackerel season, so it is perfect time to make an amazing ceviche.
Mackerel cevicheCourse: Appetizers and Snack, FishCuisine: PeruvianDifficulty: Easy
1 mackerel skinless fillet
4 fresh lime juice
1 garlic, sliced
2-3 cm fresh ginger, sliced
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
1/2 orange juice
1 teaspoon ají amarillo paste
¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
1 strawberry, diced
¼ mango, diced
4 large ice cubes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Extra fresh cilantro chopped for serving
Optional: spicy red pepper diced
- Place 2 serving bowls in the freezer, to keep them extra cold before serving.
- Place sliced onion in a medium size bowl with cold water and add 2 ice cubes. Soak for 15-20 minutes and then drain the water. This will soften the flavour and make it crispy.
- Tiger’s milk:
- In a medium size bowl place 2 ice cubes together with the lime juice, orange juice, chopped fresh coriander, sliced garlic and ginger. Set aside for 15 minutes to infuse.
- Strain the mixture through a strainer into another bowl. Add salt, pepper and aji amarillo paste and mix well.
- Cut mackerel fillet into 0,5-1 cm cubes or strips and divide them into the cold bowls (the bowls from the freezer).
- Pour over the tiger’s milk and combine gently with a spoon.
- Add the onions, diced strawberries, diced mango and chopped coriander. Optional: add some finely chopped red pepper if you like it extra spicy.
- Serve immediately.