Anchovies Marinated in Vinegar – Boquerones en vinagre – are one of the most traditional Spanish recipes. Soft fresh anchovies `cooked´ in vinegar with garlic flavour. Get a large piece of bread as you will need it.
July is one of the best months to get good fresh anchovies. It is not a difficult recipe at all just needs so chilling/fridge time. I think it is a great idea for Spanish tapas dinner or bbq.
Hope you like it!
Boquerones en vinagre (Boquerones en vinagre)Course: Appetizers and Snack, Pintxos (Tapas)Cuisine: SpanishDifficulty: Medium
350 g clean anchovies
2 cups wine or apple vinegar
2 cups extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Lay clean anchovies in a sealed container. You can make layers placing baking paper between layer. Close the container and place them in the freezer for at least 24h.
It is important to freeze them to avoid parasites found in raw fish.
- Remove anchovies from freezer and pour the vinegar until they are completely covered. Close the container and place it in the fridge to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the anchovies from the container and wipe them one by one with kitchen paper.
- In a new container place one layer of anchovies with the skin down. Add salt. Sprinkle garlic and parsley over the anchovies. Pour olive oil.
- Add another layer of anchovies, salt, garlic and parley. Pour olive oil. Finish all the layers and cover with more olive oil until all the anchovies are submerged in olive oil.
- Seal tightly with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours before eating them. Can be stored in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Serve with slices of bread.