Sardine empanada – Galician pie with sardines is one of my favourite empanadas from Galicia, Spain.
Actually, I love all of them but this version with sardines in season is just amazing.
Sardine empanada – Galician pie with sardinesCourse: AppetizerCuisine: Galician, SpanishDifficulty: Medium
450 g whole-wheat flour or regular flower
50 g warm water
150 g olive oil
50 g white wine
7 g dry yeast or 25 g fresh yeast
7 g sea salt
1 egg, for egg wash
500 g fresh sardines, clean fillets
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
250 g canned diced tomato
1 tsp paprika powder
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Add it to the bowl. Add the olive oil, white wine, 1 egg and salt to the bowl.
If you have a Kenwood or a similar food processor, dissolve the yeast in warm water and add all the ingredients to the bowl. Mix in low speed for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Start mixing with a spoon and then with your hands. Place the dough on the clean kitchen countertop and knead until the dough is smooth. It takes 8-10 minutes. Shape it into a ball.
- Sprinkle some flour over the bowl and place the ball inside. Cover with a cloth and let it rest for 2 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over low-medium heat. Stir in chopped onion, bell peppers and garlic. Add salt and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. Around 15 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and paprika powder. Mix and cook for 10 minutes. The filling needs to be a little bit juicy. Set aside.
- Shape the dough and bake (see video below from a similar empanada)
- Divide the dough into two equal pieces, one will be the base and the other one the cover.
- Preheat oven 200ºC.
Place baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Stretch one of the pieces with a rolling pin until you get a thin sheet, around 2-3 mm thickness.
- Place the dough on the baking sheet.
- Spread the filling over the dough, but leave some space around the edge to close the empanada.
- Cover the filling with a layer of sardine fillets. Sprinkle a little bit of salt over the sardines.
- Stretch the other dough piece. Need to be the same size as the first sheet. Lay it down over the filling. Seal the edges.
- Brush the surface with beaten egg and bake for 45 minutes until golden. 180ºC.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool down before eating it.