This lentil pie with vegetables is a mix between a Shepherd´s pie, Moussaka and a lasagna. Just a different and fun way to eat lentils.
Delicious and juicy lentil filling, soft grilled aubergine layers and a creamy mashed sweet potato topping. The perfect vegetable pie for dinner.
100% vegan and full of flavour. Of course, you can adjust the ingredients and cook it with minced chicken or beef.
It is getting cold outside, leaves are falling and I feel like oven-baked dishes all day long. So I wanted to try something new. I hope this recipe inspires you to cook your legumes in a different way.
PS: You have the step by step of this recipe on the highlights on Instagram (Lentil Pie)
Lentil Pie with vegetablesCourse: Legumes, VeganCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Oven dish or baking mold (30x11cm) I use is similar to this one.
250 g canned lentils, drained and rinsed
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
½ red paprika, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup water
½ cup tomato sauce
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper
1 large aubergine, cut into sliced
- Mashed potatoes:
1 potato, medium size
1 sweet potato, medium size
¼ cup oat milk
Salt and pepper
- Place aubergine slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Boil potatoes in a large pot. Around 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry chopped onion, garlic, carrots and paprika for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce, cinnamon and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and the water. Bring to boil and the simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the lentils into the sauce. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are ready, place them in cold water for 2 minutes and peel them.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork. Potatoes need to be hot.
- Add warm milk, nutmeg powder, salt and pepper. Combine with a fork or spoon. Set aside.
- Rinse the aubergine under cold running water and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
Heat 1 tablespoon in a large pan over medium-high heat.
Fry aubergines in small batches for 1-2 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220ºC.
- In a shallow oven dish place one aubergine layer.
Spoon ½ of the lentil sauce over the aubergine.
Cover with another layer of aubergines.
Spoon ½ of the lentil sauce.
Cover with the last layer of aubergine.
Finish with mashed potatoes.
- Grill in the oven for 10 minutes or until the mashers are browned on top. Serve warm.
- You can cook it a couple of days in advance. Store in the fridge and just bake it the day you are going to eat it.
Oven dish or baking mold (30x11cm) I use is similar to this one. (Affiliate link)