Slow cooker oxtail stew with port wine, the traditional autumn oxtail stew.
Soft, tender oxtail stew with port wine, a classic stew but cooked on the slow cooker to get the juiciest stew. Can not think of a better way to kick off stew season.
Slow cooker oxtail stew with port wineCourse: MainCuisine: Slow cookerDifficulty: Easy
550 g bone-in oxtail
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 green paprika, chopped
2 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon tomato puree
1 glass of port wine
1 glass of water
- Season the oxtail with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oxtail to skillet and sear on each side for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker.
- Add carrots, onion, garlic and green paprika. Sauté for 2 minutes and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the port wine to the skillet to deglaze it. Pour the wine into the slow cooker.
- Add thyme, bay leaves and tomato puree to the slow cooker. Add the water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or until the meat falls from the bone.
- Transfer the oxtail to a platter and discard the thyme and bay leaves.
- Blend the vegetables until you get a smooth sauce.
- Return the oxtail to the slow cooker.
- Serve the oxtail stew with some roasted vegetables and potatoes.
- This stew tastes better if you cook it 1 day in advance.