Criollo style hake or Colombian style fish.
By far my favourite dish during my last holiday in Colombia. It is an absolutely delicious fish dish.
Delicate and flavourful coconut sauce to create an amazing fish dish. The best part is that it is also easy to make and you will not need a large list of ingredients.
What kind of fish can I use?
You can use red bream, sea bass, hake or cod fish. Personally, my favourite for this criollo style fish is to use fresh cod fish or hake.
It is not a difficult recipe but as might be a little bit different you will find a video at the end 🙂 It is in Spanish with English subtitle so hope it helps. Enjoy it!
For more fish recipes, check here.
Criollo style hakeCourse: Fish, Main DishCuisine: ColombianDifficulty: Medium
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 onion, finely chopped
1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 garlic, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
3-4 saffron threads
1 teaspoon white pepper powder*
80 ml white wine
160 ml fish broth*
2 tablespoons coconut cream*
Freshly chopped coriander
300 g hake or codfish (4 fillets)
- Heat the oil over low eat in a low casserole.
- Start with the sofrito: add the onion, red and green pepper and garlic. A pinch of salt and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the bay leaf, saffron, white pepper powder and white wine. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the fish broth and the coconut cream in and bring into a boil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes and add the fish fillets.
- Cook over low heat until the fish is just done, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with some chopped coriander and enjoy it!
- White pepper powder: The best is to use whole white peppercorns, around 15 pieces, and to use a mill or grinder to make the powder right before adding it to the pan. The flavour will the much better.
- Fish broth: If you are making some fish broth at home, use the bones of the same fish to make the broth. I used hake for the recipe so I made the broth with the hake bones.
- Coconut cream: Store a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Then use just the thick white cream of the top and discard the liquid.